South Eastern Freeway safety issues will be on the national agenda today, when transport ministers come together from across the country.
At a forum in Melbourne, SA Transport Minister Tom Koutsantonis plans address driver competency standards as a priority for action.
The focus on safety follows an incident at the bottom of the freeway on Sunday July 24 in which a truck ploughed through seven cars and a bus.
Nine people were taken to hospital but there were no fatalities.
Police arrested and charged a Queensland truck driver three days later for allegedly driving unlicensed, nine counts of dangerous driving causing harm, endangering life and “numerous national heavy vehicle offences”.
The Minister, along with his department, met with representatives of the Heavy Road Freight Industry (SARTA) earlier this week to discuss issues relating to the crash.
The meeting canvassed wide-ranging solutions to discussions regarding freeway compliance and safety issues, from working cohesively with industry and SAPOL on education programs, to implementing more appropriate signage.
Minister Tom Koutsantonis said the issue needs to be raised at a national-scale, to ensure when heavy vehicles are crossing borders safety compliance remains consistent.
"We are determined to ensure driver competency standards are implemented as a matter of urgency," MinisterTom Koutsantonis said.
"We need to be doing everything we can to ensure South Australians feel safe on our roads."
Photo of B Double truck by ScottDavis, wikipedia