Local News

Toxic Wild Mushrooms Popping Up In The Adelaide Hills

Death Cap mushroom.JPG

Death cap mushrooms have started popping up across the Adelaide Hills with SA Health again warning people not to pick and consume any wild mushrooms.

The death cap looks very similar to a popular Asian variety, but there is no reliable way of telling between the toxic and non toxic fungus. The toxin from death cap mushrooms will also survive the cooking process with poisoning occurring within minutes of consumption.

Already in 2018 eight calls have been made to the poisons information hotline after ingesting potentially dangerous mushrooms, the death cap potentially leaving people with ongoing liver and kidney damage and in some cases the person has died.

Some experts are concerned about the influence of popular cooking shows which highlight home grown and foraged for foods, saying unless you are an expert, foraging for mushrooms is never a good idea.

If you have ingested a mushroom and are worried it may be toxic, contact the Poisons Information Hotline on 13 11 26 or call 000 in an emergency.

 

 

Image: Wiki Commons