National News

Christmas lights blamed for Tas home fire

Faulty Christmas lights were to blame for a house fire in Tasmania which sent three residents running for their lives.

The front half of the home at Montello in the state's northwest went up in flames in the early hours of Thursday morning.

Two women and a man were found sheltering in the backyard of the badly destroyed property, which suffered $300,000 damage.

"The occupants of this property were lucky to escape," Tasmania Fire Service regional fire investigator Anthony Goss said.

"We believe the fire was caused by a failure of the small connection box on a Christmas lights set which has caused it to heat up and catch fire."

Mr Goss said the trio were altered to the fire by smoke alarms.

He's urged all home owners to check Christmas lights for damage.

© AAP 2017

You may also like...

Melbourne balcony collapse kills two women

Melbourne balcony collapse kills two women

Women who survived a horror Melbourne Christmas party balcony collapse that killed two others say they are devastated but thankful to be alive.Up to...

Total Fire Bans In Place Today

Total Fire Bans In Place Today

There’s a severe fire danger rating for the Mt Lofty Ranges and Murraylands today, with total fire bans for those and 10 other districts across SA...

Woman assaulted in northern NSW home

Woman assaulted in northern NSW home

A woman in her 40s has been stabbed, robbed and sexually assaulted by an armed man who broke into her northern NSW home in the middle of the night.The...

Woman found dead in Bendigo home

Woman found dead in Bendigo home

Police say the death of a woman in a Bendigo home is not suspicious.Emergency services found her body in the property in the suburb of Longlea just...