Dangers of gas poisoning in confined space

Dangers of gas poisoning in confined space.jpg

DANGERS OF GAS FUMES IN CONFINED SPACES

* Deaths from carbon monoxide poisoning often occur in confined spaces due to lack of ventilation

* The fumes are commonly emitted by malfunctioning gas heaters in homes, or generators, tank pumps and motor engines

* Many of deaths have occurred in spaces that don't allow for oxygen to circulate - these include apartment blocks, tents, boat cabins, water tanks and sheds

* Authorities are reminding people that if you can smell gas avoid the enclosed space and wait for rescue personnel who are specialists in the area to perform the task

CARBON MONOXIDE

- It's emitted from anything that burns solid wood, coal, or gas

- Is colourless and odourless

- It can build up in your bloodstream over time

- Do not bring indoors any heaters or burners designed for use outside

- Symptoms can include a headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drowsiness and getting a red glow

- If you feel unwell, get some fresh air

Source: Federal Department of Health

© AAP 2018

Image - bigstock