Drivers bringing fruit into SA to be fined

fruit veg

Motorists bringing fruit into South Australia will be hit with a hefty fine from Friday as the state government steps up measures against fruit fly.

"From roadblocks to quarantine bins, we will use every tool at our disposal to defend our vital horticulture industry against fruit fly and to protect our fruit fly-free status," Primary Industries Minister Tim Whetstone told the Adelaide Advertiser, announcing a $375 fine instead of the caution previously meted out to those bringing in fruit.

Mr Whetstone said new electronic signs will tell drivers to "Eat it or Bin it" on approach to the Yamba station on the border with Victoria, adding that declaring produce there without penalty was no longer an option.

© AAP 2019 Image: Bigstock