This Mental Health Week, Dan Cregan MP is advocating for an issue very personal to him.
The Member for Kavel has recently been appointed as the Premier’s Advocate for Suicide Prevention and Community Resilience.
He joins Jennie Lenman for a chat about it and the resources available for those who are in need of help.
We can each do three practical things to build resilience and support mental health in our communities:
- CHECK in with friends and family and start conversations about mental health and wellbeing;
- EDUCATE ourselves about resources that are available and know where to find them – the Office of the Premier’s Advocate for Suicide Prevention and Community Resilience is happy to assist with this;
- BECOME familiar with the preferred language that helps to reduce stigma and increase help-seeking behaviours – more information is available at: https://lifeinmind.org.au/the charter/national-communications-charter-language-guide
Here are some other ways you can seek support when needed:
- SA COVID-19 Mental Health Support Line 1800 632 753
- Mental Health Services 131 465
- Beyond Blue 1300 224 636
- Lifeline 131 114
- Mensline Australia 1300 789 978
- Suicide Call Back Service 1300 659 467
- Kids Help Line 1800 551 800
- Regional Access (Rural) 1300 032 186
- Aboriginal Mens Line 1800 435 799
Photo of Dan Cregan MP from Facebook, supplied