Unattended Candles Cause Mt Barker Fire

October 10, 2023 7:08 am in by
Photo: Vladimir Srajber,

Authorities believe a house fire in Mount Barker overnight was caused by candles that were left unattended.

SA Metropolitan Fire Service and SA Country Fire Service crews responded to a structure fire on Fletcher Road after a neighbour called Triple 000 around 11:40pm Monday, 9 October.

Eight MFS and CFS appliances from Adelaide, Hahndorf, Mount Barker, Littlehampton and Nairne attended the scene where the fire was well involved in fire.

Article continues after this ad

It took crews about 90 minutes to get the blaze under control and a further hour to extinguish it.

Road closures were in place during the incident and an alert was raised as heavy smoke drifted over Mount Barker and the South Eastern Freeway towards Hahndorf.

There have been no reported injuries.

Fire Cause Investigators have determined the fire was accidental.

The damage bill is sitting at around $600,000.

Article continues after this ad

Media Liaison with the Metropolitan Fire Service Nicole Bradley said the incident services as a timely reminder.

“The MFS would like to remind the public that if using candles, ensure they are placed in sturdy holders that will not tip over and ensure all candles are extinguished before leaving the room or going to sleep,” Nicole Bradley said.


Keep up to date

Sign up for our newsletter