SAPOL has responded to criticism of its distracting LED road safety messages this Road Safety Week.
An Adelaide Hills man raised the issue on social media on Wednesday, with photos of brightly lit up screen advertising on a truck exiting the South Eastern Freeway at Stirling at night.
Twitter user @toddthepainter shared images taken by his passenger and tagged Minister for Infrastructure and Transport Tom Koutsantonis, asking him to investigate.
“This vehicle lit up at night on a freeway is a stupid, distracting & dangerous idea. Can you pls look into it,” Todd the Painter said on Twitter.
The office of Minister Koutsantonis referred us to police media for response.
A SAPOL spokesperson said following public complaints, they are investigating the matter and have pulled the adverts.
“One digital truck was engaged to display an important road safety message in relation to lives lost on our roads and extreme speed as part of Road Safety Week. It was previously used for road safety messaging prior to the Easter long weekend,” a SAPOL spokesperson said.
“It was not booked for night time hours and it was not the intention of South Australia Police for this billboard to be alight and driven at night for the reason that it could be a distraction to drivers.”
“Given the public feedback this form of advertising has since been cancelled pending further review.”
This pics was taken tonight by my passenger. Was taken on the off ramp into Stirling towards Adelaide.
Was lit up on the freeway & very distracting.
This vehicle lit up at night on a freeway is a stupid, distracting & dangerous idea.
Can you pls look into it pic.twitter.com/hiZgmNl9QP
— ToddthePainter (@toddthepainter) May 17, 2023
Story by Jennie Lenman
Photos supplied with permission, via Twitter @toddthepainter